16 September 2018

My Best Friend’s Wedding


25.08.2018. Always & Forever 

On the 25th August 2018, I opened my eyes at 5.20am, I was in my best friend's spare room. This was it, today was the day I told myself, today is the day my best friend gets married...

Now this blog post is a little different to my normal posts however  I had a day I just had to share with any and everyone who wants to reads about it! 

I’d been so excited for this day to come, my best friend (of almost a decade!) was finally getting married,I remembered the engagement like it was yesterday - it was Christmas Eve 2014, I was actually sat on the loo in my local pub and my phone pinged, I remember unlocking my phone and just seeing the words IM ENGAGED!!I couldn’t bloody believe it, I remember saying out loud OH MY GOD (a phrase I often say)  and the woman in the toilet cubicle next to me asking if I was okay, I shouted back YES and my best friends engaged! She must have thought I was a right looney! All I could say was OMG and I couldn’t wait to hear all about the proposal and see the ring! 

Time moved on and after the initial super excitement started to fade, the enagagement party was announced - Hoorah! Bloody love a party me, especially when it’s celebrating your best friend’s life plans! So off we go to 14th March 2015, I remember looking down to the dance floor and seeing her, she was so happy grinning ear to ear holding the love of her life, my best friend was so content, she was glowing! I couldn’t help myself but run over and announce myself as the third wheel to my bestie and her new fiancé. We danced that night away, full of drinks and laughter, rather a lot of drinks actually...! 

Next we fast forward to around July 2016, my bestie came over for a routine ‘cup of tea Sunday’ we were slumped in the corner of  my sofa taking about the house she’d just brought, it was such an exciting time - her new house was down the road from me, I could literally walk there in 15 minutes (although to this day a 2 minute car ride is still far more appealing than a 15 minute walk). She told me about the house renovation plans and what rooms they were going to start stripping back first. Then she looked at me and said I’ve also got some exciting news, she explained her fiancé and she had been discussing the wedding and they’d agreed on a date, the 25th August 2018. It was perfect, beyond that brilliant - it was the date of their anniversary and it was just over 2 years away so she still had plenty of time to do up her house before the wedding. Good god there were so many OMG moments that Sunday, new house, wedding date set - exciting things were happening for my girl.

Right now I’m taking you to the 29th May 2017, it was a bank holiday and I was getting ready to go shopping. My partner, Aaron kept stalling and I was getting so frustrated I remember asking him why he was faffing around so much when we were meant to be in full shop mode! Eventually he caved and said he was expecting someone to arrive at ours, I assumed it would be one of our parents maybe? A few moments later the door knocked, I ran over and peeked through the peep hole of my door and saw her, my bestie and her fiancé. I opened the door not even thinking it was she who I needed to stay in for, she walked in and I said I’m waiting for someone to come over and she just smiled and said yes it’s me! I was so confused but regardless I popped the kettle on and into the living room we went, she pulled out her wedding save the dates - ah now it all made sense, they were beautiful, so classic and elegant. I put the save the date on my fridge, made the teas and walked back into my living room to find a floral box on my coffee table and my friend grinning ear to ear. I love presents and I LOVE surpises, so you guessed it I did a few OMGs! Moments later I’d opened the top of the box, there was a little envelope so I took that first I saw the word almost immediately and my heart starting bursting with happiness, it was a bridesmaid proposal! Of course I said yes, I was so happy, over the bloomin moon! The box was filled with cute poems confetti and a wax melt, the whole thing melted my heart to be honest. So thoughtful, so lovely. 

Now I won’t go into too much detail but some time went on, ALOT of planning went on, many many secret  bridesmaid meetings were held, a lot of wine was drunk and Marbella was booked,planned and ready to go for the Hen do! Now we were set to go to Marbella the 10th May 2018, however on the 11th April 2018 I came home from a weekend away and saw a handwritten envelope with my name on. I got exited because well let’s be honest I could tell it wasn’t a bill and that’s 99% of post I get these days! I started opening the envelope and yep you guessed it a huge OH MY GOD came out of my mouth, I actually ran straight into the bathroom where my partner was on the toilet and I shoved the contents of the envelope into his face - ‘look LOOK’ I kept saying over and over. My best friend had given me a little card asking for me to not only be her bridesmaid but if I would be her Maid of Honour, well dear lord I thought I was going to have some sort of heart attack from being so happy! I went to sleep that night with a smile so big my cheeks actually hurt! 

So...Marbella, all I’m saying here ladies and gents is what happens on a hen stays on a hen! But in all truth it was the best weekend away I’ve had, the entire bridal party all got on so well, we all had such a blast! The one moment I will treasure forever from that weekend was when I was helping my best friend, the bride to be, get into her “all white” outfit (of course we’d given her a heads up and an idea on what outfits to bring) she looked so beautiful all in white and glowing - quite literally from her recent holiday. Her outfit was complete, or was it, I ran to the bed and grabbed her veil I popped it onto her head and we went to look in the mirror, I was stood watching her look at herself all dressed up, the bride to be, it was all for her, my eyes welled up as did hers, and we had a little moment where we needed a cry, there was so much emotion, it felt real now, she was getting married, my best friend was no longer going to be a miss!

29th July came, less than month to go until the wedding! There was another hen do, of course us Brit’s like to have as many celebrations as possible. Day drinking never goes a miss! Everyone partied all day into the night and the bride to be went home very merry with a bunch of balloons. 

And well, this was it, the build up of 4 years was now happening! It was 5.20am and as my eyes opened in my best friends spare room I just couldn’t believe today was the day she gets married. 

The day was perfect, I’ve been to weddings, to great weddings, to family weddings, friends weddings but this one was different. This was one I’d never forget, this was one that would stay with me forever. 

Now to say this day was emotional would be an absolute understatement! There’s nothing to describe the happiness I felt that day, being such a big part of my best friend’s wedding. I loved every moment, from helping the mother of the bride decorate the house the morning of the wedding, to making tea and coffee for the makeup artist and hairdresser, to helping the brides father tie up his dickie bow, calling the best man to pick up the flowers, helping the bride to be put on her veil, to being stood in front of the church looking at the altar ahead and turning back smiling at my best friend, this was it. I took one step looked over my shoulder at the bride to be, the last time she would be a miss, I walked down took my seat in the aisle, and then it was her turn to walk, there she was, the most beautiful bride, the dress little girls dream of, every single hair put in place, a veil long enough for rapunzel, she walked past like a true princess and well that was it the ceremony began. 

The entire day was filled of tears, tears of joy, over emotion, laughter - I felt like every moment was a memory I just couldn’t forget, every time I looked at the clock hours had gone by the day was slipping by too quickly! The photographs, the venue, the speeches and the first dances were magical, everything went so perfect, the entire wedding was just like my best friend, elegant, classic and simply beautiful.  

Now we start to come to an end (Im sure some of you are glad to know my longest blog post to date is finally ending) the night drew in, the bridesmaid dresses started to rise, the boys blazers were off and the party was in full swing. I ran behind the DJ box and requested a song, the DJ nodded and within seconds I heard him mixing in the beat of the song I asked, instantly she ran to me, my best friend knew straight away it was our song, we were on the dance floor for the entire song just laughing, spinning around and holding each other, it was done, my best friend was married, she’d had the most perfect day and here we were dancing the night away to the most magical day. The song finished and I gave her the biggest and the longest squeeze, we smiled, laughed and I knew in that moment, I was so lucky to have this girl as my best friend.

Emma and Will, you both had the most perfect day and I am so thankful to have been a part of it! Your wedding was one of the best days of my life, full of memories I’ll treasure forever. So here’s to you two, the new Mr and Mrs Grant.

So there you have it guys, my longest and most emotional blog post (so far!) I hope you enjoyed it! 

P.S sorry to those who thought this post was about the film my best friends wedding ha-ha!
P.P.S well done if you’re actually still reading and made it to the end of the post :) 







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© .. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig